Bless the Lord, O My Soul
Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and all that is within me,
bless his holy name! (Psalm 103:1, ESV)
Okay so my girls didn’t grow up knowing that feeling in your heart when someone mentions the movie The Sound of Music. But most of my friends know that flutter. You know the one that has you dancing on the mountaintop in the midst of the rain. The one that has you singing, “These are a few of my favorite things,” at the top of your ever lovin’ lungs. That has you cheering on those who refuse to live under oppression. That has you crying because the whole Von Trapp family made it out of the country safe and wrapped in love. At least you do if you have seen it, ahem.
Well today it is raining here and I was thinking of how all those children piled up in the bed and scurried under the covers. Suddenly Maria (Julie Andrews) starts to sing and then the whole room bursts into song. Suddenly fear had been chased away by a joyful song.
That’s what worship music does for me. That is what meditation on God’s promises does for me. That is what those who encourage me daily do for me. It looks at fear and says you can stick around if you want, but I’m gonna sing, and dance, and enjoy my life.
My Favorite Things
So I wanted to share with you a few of my favorite things for when fear tries to blow my house down. When it tries to oppress me and keep me from my destiny. When doubt screams louder than His still small voice. Things I need when I can no longer encourage myself.
Today I am sharing my favorite Worship Music. My favorite thing number one. Here are the top twenty that speak truth to me:
- Every Storm (Runs Out of Rain) by Gary Allen
- Hello Fear by Kirk Franklin
- I Look To You by Whitney Houston
- Love Came Down by Kari Jobe
- Not For A Moment by Meredith Andrews
- Redeemed by Big Daddy Weave
- Your Love Never Fails by Jesus Culture & Chris Quilala
- O My Soul March On by Travis Cotrell
- How He Loves by David Crowder Band
- Revelation Song by Kari Jobe
- Whom Shall I Fear by Chris Tomlin
- Wedding Day by Casting Crowns
- I’m Praying For You by Lecrae
- You Love Me Anyway by Sidewalk Prophets
- Words by Hawk Nelson
- Broken Girl by Matthew West
- Imagine Me by Kirk Franklin
- Home by Phillip Phillips
- Soul is Anchored by Trin-I-Tee 5:7
- Blessings by Laura Story
This is just a taste of the doubt and fear chasers in my life. What do you listen to to encourage yourself, to chase the doubt and fear away? Leave a comment below with your favorite worship songs, or even better share your top twenty on your blog and leave the link here. I can’t wait to hear what encourages you!
Singing His Praises even when its hard because He has promised.